In a game slowed down by penalties and instant replay reviews; Texas Tech (3-0, 1-0) beat #24 TCU 20-10 (1-2, 0-1) in both teams Big 12 Conference opener.

Texas Tech had the first strike in the game with a Baker Mayfield 50 yard touchdown pass to Kenny Williams 1:09 into the first quarter. The Red Raiders added a 39 yard field goal from Ryan Bustin late in the first quarter to extend their lead to 10-0.  The score remained 10-0 going into halftime.

TCU was aggressive on their first possession in the third quarter after taking the second half kickoff. Trying to avoid a 3-and-out, Gary Patterson decided to go for it on a 4th and 1 at the TCU 44. Aaron Green was stuffed for no gain on the 4th Down play and Texas Tech took over at the TCU 44.

The Red Raiders on the ensuing possession had their drive stall at the TCU 32.  Ryan Bustin's 49 yard field goal attempt was wide left and TCU got the ball back with 9:51 in the third.

TCU then got their first score of the game after a 10 play 48 yard drive. Jaden Oberkrom kicked a 37 yard field goal to make the score 10-3. Texas Tech and TCU then exchanged multiple punts before Jackson Richards intercepted a Trevone Boykin pass at the Texas Tech 28. He returned the interception 20 yards to the 48 yard line with 30 seconds left in the third quarter.

Tech couldn't capitalize off of the turnover as Mayfield was intercepted on a 4th & 2 from the TCU 44.

TCU's next offensive possession saw them get into the Tech side of the field, but it netted no points. Oberkrom's 55 yard field goal attempt was no good with 12:23 left in the game.

The Tech offense stalled again with another 3-and-out and wasn't able to extend their 10-3 lead. TCU then took over at their 31 after the punt.  A 9 play 69 yard drive was capped off by a B.J. Catalon 17 yard touchdown run. That score tied the game at 10 with 6:28 left.

TCU's kickoff went into the end zone for a touchback and the Red Raiders took over at their 25.  The first play of the Red Raiders drive was a 1 yard pass from Mayfield to DeAndre Washington.  On that play, Mayfield appeared to be hit in the midsection.  He had to be helped off the field after being hunched over for a minute.

Ashley Wirz,

Davis Webb then came into the game to relieve Mayfield at quarterback on a 2nd & 9. After two Washington runs and an incomplete pass, Webb appeared to have thrown a 49 yard touchdown pass to Washington. However, after a long stoppage for a video replay review, it was determined that Washington dropped the ball inside the 1 yard line before crossing into the end zone.

Texas Tech retained possession and had a 15-yard unsportsmanlike penalty enforced to make it 1st and 10 at the TCU 15 yard line. A holding penalty on 2nd Down pushed the ball back to the TCU 21. Two plays later Webb connected with Bradley Marquez for a 19 yard touchdown pass.  The extra point was good and Texas Tech went up 17-10 with 3:48 left in the game.

TCU then went 3-and-out on their next possession and punted.  Texas Tech took over at the 50 and a 15-yard kick catch interference added extra yards to the return to give Tech the ball at the TCU 35. Five plays later, Ryan Bustin kicked a 37 yard field goal to extend the lead to 20-10.

The sloppy play for both teams showed up in the penalty column. TCU had 13 penalties for 115 yards and Tech had 10 penalties for 89 yards.

Offensively, TCU had 401 total yards compared to Tech's 336. TCU also had 23 first downs compared to Tech's 16.

Baker Mayfield went 21/40 passing for 216 yards, 3 interceptions and 1 touchdown.  Davis Webb on the one drive in relief of Mayfield went 3/4 passing for 77 yards and 1 touchdown.

Texas Tech's next game is September 21 against Texas State at Jones AT&T Stadium.