Tommy Tuberville Added to the Bryant Award Watch List
Beating the No. 1 Oklahoma Sooners on the road continues to give the No. 19 Texas Tech Football program several accolades. Now it's the coaches turn.
Head Coach Tommy Tuberville is one of 20 on a list unveiled on Wednesday afternoon for the Marathon Oil Corporation Paul "Bear" Bryant Award for the nation's best head football coach.
Tuberville previously won the award in 2004 coaching the University of Auburn to a 13-0 record, a Southeastern Conference championship, and Sugar Bowl victory over Virginia Tech.
No. 11 Oklahoma's Bob Stoops, No. 3 Oklahoma State's Mike Gundy, and No. 10 Kansas State's Bill Snyder are the only other Big 12 Conference coaches on the list for the award given annually.
The finalists for the award will be comprised of 5 to 10 coaches in December and on January 19, 2012 and the award will be given out at the Hyatt Regency in Houston, Texas.
Texas Tech (5-2 overall, 2-2 Big 12) hosts Iowa State (3-4 overall,0-4 Big 12) Saturday night at 6 p.m. at Jones AT&T Stadium in Lubbock.
2011 Bryant Coach of the Year Watch List
- Tommy Tuberville – Texas Tech University
- Frank Beamer – Virginia Tech University
- Bret Bielema – University of Wisconsin
- Mark Dantonio – Michigan State University
- Mike Gundy – Oklahoma State University
- Brady Hoke – University of Michigan
- Mark Hudspeth – University of Louisiana
- Chip Kelly – University of Oregon
- Les Miles – Louisiana State University
- Joe Paterno – Penn State University
- Bo Pelini – University of Nebraska
- Chris Petersen – Boise State University
- Bobby Petrino – University of Arkansas
- Nick Saban – University of Alabama
- David Shaw – Stanford University
- Bill Snyder – Kansas State University
- Steve Spurrier – University of South Carolina
- Bob Stoops – University of Oklahoma
- Kevin Sumlin – University of Houston
- Dabo Swinney – Clemson University